Effective Communication with Elected Representatives
- Building personal relationships with members and staff improves success.
- Schedule an appointment with your Representative to talk about your issues. If possible, schedule meetings in pairs to show strength in numbers.
- Get to know staff members and open personal communications with them to follow up on issues. You should not expect to meet with any member other than your own Representative and Senator.
- Provide brief written materials and background research so the legislation can be more successful.
Three P’s of Grassroots Lobbying
- Dress and act the part
- Schedule a meeting and show up on time.
- Be respectful of time and competing priorities of elected officials
- Have brief written materials prepared that enhance your position
- Know your talking points and be prepared to give a 30 second elevator speech